HIGH MOUNTAIN ESTATE VINEYARDS
The Catena wines are a special assemblage of High
Mountain Estate Vineyards made by fourth generation
vintner, Laura Catena and chief winemaker, Alejandro
Vigil. Although we have found that most of the Catena
wines are consumed shortly after release, we are pleased
to see that they age beautifully for ten to twenty years.
Through decades of study and exploration within
Mendoza's high altitude mountain terroirs, the Catena
family has identified special locations for its Estate
vineyards. From the marriage of these historic vineyards
emerges a wine of unique character that has natural
balance, concentration and a distinct varietal identity.
A Blend of Three Vineyards - vineyards are divided into lots that
are harvested at different times:
- Agrelo: (3,117 ft (950 m) elevation. Citrus and peach fruit flavors.
- Villa Bastías: 3,675 ft (1,120 m) elevation. Stone fruit
aromas and a rich texture.
- Gualtallary: 4,757 ft (1,450 m) elevation. Lively floral notes, strong mineral character and cool climate bright acidity.
Whole cluster pressed; fermented, sur lies, in barrels and
stainless steel. Wild yeasts. Elevage: 10 months in French
oak. Barrel selection varies depending on vineyard and
vintage - First, second and third use barrels used. 40%
does not undergo malolactic fermentation.
- Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Total Acidity: 6.2 grams/liter
- pH: 3.25