52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 48% Malbec. The Cabernet Sauvignon fruit was sourced from the lime, clay soil of Lot 3 in the La Pirámide vineyard and the sandy, lime soil of Lot 3 in the Domingo vineyard. Cooler than usual March temperatures in La Pirámide lent complexity and structure to the fruit while warmer than normal March temperatures in Domingo offered generous yet concentrated cassis fruit flavors and aromas. The Malbec fruit was sourced from the sand based soil of Lot 9 from the Adrianna vineyard. The warmer March temperatures in Adrianna displayed excellent color and a silky texture in the Malbec grapes. This vintage should be enjoyed in 5 to 6 years and will continue to improve over the following 12 to 14 years.
- La Pirámide Vineyard 3,117 ft (950 m). Agrelo District, Luján de Cuyo Region, Mendoza, Argentina. Deep alluvial loam with 30% clay that decreases soil temperature by 35,6ºF (2ºC) in average. Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Domingo Vineyard: 3,675 ft (1,120 m). Villa Bastías District, Tupungato Region, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina. Surface is completely covered with gravel. Alluvial topsoil is loamy with limestone deposits at 11,8 inches (30cm). Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Adrianna Vineyard: 4,757 ft (1,450 m). Gualtallary District, Tupungato Region, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina. Alluvial, gravelly with limestone deposits in the topsoil. Malbec.
- Nicasia Vineyard: 3,593 ft (1,095 m). Altamira in La Consulta District, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina. Very shallow loamy topsoil with surface gravel and gravelly (large stones) dry river bed subsoil - optimal drainage. Malbec.
The 2001 Nicolás Catena Zapata presents a unique blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. In its youth, the rich, concentrated, primary fruit flavors typical of high altitude Argentine Malbec will predominate. However, as the wine ages, the Cabernet Sauvignon element will gain prominence, lending increasing complexity to the wine with long term cellaring.
- Varietal: 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 48% Malbec
- Alcohol: 13.8 %
- Total Acidity: 5.55 grams/liter
- pH: 3.65